Tuesday, March 27, 2012

In the Life of a Writer Sometimes a Little Money Helps

It's a good thing I'm not the one earning the bacon in my family. Let's just say it would be very lean bacon if it were up to me. That's why I get excited when I see things like this writing contest offered. Any bit of money helps, especially when you're trying to justify the hours you spend at a computer when there are so many other things you could be doing.
I have to admit upfront that I may be a little biased when it comes to this contest because it's connected with the WIFYR Conference, a tab for which can be found on my right hand border. I give credit for the publication of my picture book, The Wheat Doll, to this workshop. When I attended a picture book writing class there, I was mentored by Candance Fleming, who helped me shape and polish my manuscript. The editor who eventually acquired it was also at the conference that year. In fact, she walked into the room while my manuscript was being read aloud to the class, which, I believe, helped it stand out to her when it came across her desk.
If writing is something you want to do then any learning and mentoring you can get puts you ahead of most of the people in the dreaded slush pile. And if you can earn a little money whie you're at it, so much the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment